Wednesday, April 11, 2012

easter, etc.

easter flowers

We had a nice Easter this year. I've always secretly wanted to be Jewish though. Sarah is a common Jewish name, after all. So this holiest of christian holiday is dampened by my lust for Sedars and reading from the Torah. Guilt ensues when I arrive at my parents and not only has my mother planned a beautiful lamb supper but she's also made a little easter basket with candy, and dyed eggs (I'm 31). Though those dyed eggs made great lunch for our family chain saw session at Worlds End the next day. Eric had grand plans of having a chain-saw free farm but 7 hours with his felling axe last week resulted in little more than sore muscles; the downed tree still hanging precariously in front of our tractor path. We called my dad, the master of all things relating to wood and demolition. The whole task was completed in a little over an hour on Monday, leaving time for Eric to help me dig homes for my Pieris Japonica bushes (!) and a few Cameo Quince (!!). I ran into Emily at an event last night and her eyes lit up as she made the snipping motion with her fingers. To all my cutter friends: the farm is as much yours as it is mine, I'll need visitors plenty and often. I'm so afraid of being lonely and isolated when we move there in May. But for now, one day at a time.

7 comments:

Bow Street Flowers said...

you won't be lonely, I predict. If I were 30 years younger, I'd be your farm hand: you have a bunkhouse, right?

Bridget said...

I forgot to say tonight! I'm so there. Just say when.
Bridget

fleur_delicious said...

oh, me TOO. When I wasn't quite so burned out and exhausted from my phd program, I even used to host Shabbos dinners for Jewish friends. My loads of Jewish friends swear I'm an honourary MOT because I'm always stuffing them full of food. =) I seriously considered conversion, way back when, but before I started, I realized I'd lost the conviction of all faith and landed somewhere in agnostic/atheistic territory. Doesn't stop me from getting chills just remembering my friend Eliza singing to the channukah candles in December.

The Field of Gold said...

I looked through this post and passed on. But after some thought I just had to come back and say that the photo, or rather the flowers, are the most amazing and beautiful thing. Kerry

Ally Ann said...

I have always felt that I wanted to be raised in a religion with old beautiful traditions and celebrations. They seem so wonderful and timeless.

Nicole Milman said...

Sarah, LOL about this farm is as much ours as it is yours! I'm sure it's a ton of work, both fun and tiresome. I hear you about the loneliness issue - especially if you are living in Brooklyn now. I live in an exurb for which I'm very ill-suited, but we're likely to move again this fall and it'll have to be to a walkable town. Somewhere with sidewalks! Your farm looks like the place in Finland where my mom grew up, at least space wise. Will you have a sauna at your farm? Essential! And I sort of get to be Jewish since I am married to one. I was raised Catholic but my mom is Lutheran. And I love Seders :) Terveiset!

flowers dublin said...

Celebrations are the most important part of the life as they give us the sweet memories for the future. Make them more beautiful with the arrangement of the flowers is nice one choice.