Sunday, November 11, 2007

This is another example of the snow white pallet I mentioned yesterday. The big flower in the middle is actually a type of decorative kale. Very appropriate for autumn I suppose. The eucalyptus I got from the Grand Army plaza farm market Saturday, it's incredibly fragrant and fresh. Only Koala bears can digest eucalyptus.

It's not the photo, these carrots are yellow. Which is what attracted me to them last week at the market - they were different, and any deviation from the standard Pinocchio-nosed carrots in the orange colored plastic bag is reason enough to get jazzed about taproots. Plus my yogi informed me that the fall is a season of AIR - in the astrological sense - and that we should be eating things that grow in the ground in order to feel...well..grounded.

Thus this soup which changed my opinion of carrots last year, and continues to bring betacarotine to me and my entourage.

CARROT SOUP, YOU LIKE?
1 large onion chopped - in a 4 quart pot with 3 tablespoons of butter and some ground caraway seeds (optional)
Cook over med. heat until the onion is translucent
Add 4-8 carrots (4 huge, 8 smallish) cut up in 1/2 inch pieces

Continue to brown together a few minutes
Add 1 quart of chicken broth plus 1 cup of water

Cover and cook for 1/2 hour or so
Remove from heat and puree in food processor in batches

Return to pot, salt and pepper to taste

THEN! chop some fresh dill and mix into a 1/2 cup of crème fraîche (or sour cream)
Serve with a dollup of that and you will love it! You will love it more left over with lox on finncrisp!

Needless to say the yellow carrots were busted, they didn't have the fuller sweet flavor of orange carrots - as if they were not ready to be pulled up yet.

No comments: